HomeEtsyRetail StudioCalendarShows

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

It seems to me that the last 10 years of Memorial Day are more about our lost men and women in wars than barbecues.  Is it because we seem to be in more wars or is it because I am getting older? When I lived in Minnesota, over 20 years ago, Memorial Day was hamburgers, brats, beans, chips and beer at a lake.  Not so much anymore.  I live next to a cemetery and on Memorial Day weekend there are all sorts of activities at the cemetery. Lots of people visit but they also have old plane fly overs and even a petting zoo for the kids.  It wasn't a traditon for our family to visit the graves of our relatives very often. Next door people are always putting flowers and other decorations out and even have picnics at the graveside.  During the last few days on public radio there has been stories from soldiers. Heartfelt stories that made their lives so real to me. Have a good Memorial Day however you celebrate the day! 

I took a few days last week to escape up to the Eastern Sierras. It was the first time we were able to get to the cabin so early. The snow was gone and the water was turned on.  We had some beautiful days in the 60's but then a storm came in and the temps dropped below zero as we left to come home.  I sure hope the pipes didn't freeze in the cabin! 

Here are a couple of photos of the dogs and lakes.  Enjoy! And thanks for stopping by!  I am taking a class with Diana Frey next weekend.  I am so excited. A whole new area of jewelry design for me!  Check out her website!  I will post some photos of what we did in class when I get home. 











4 comments:

  1. Jan...Glad you had a great trip to the cabin. Looks gorgeous up there! Have a good class! hugs, Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeri! I will let you know how the class goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan your photos are great!!!! Can't believe there is snow & we've been soooooooooo hot.

    I am so glad to have met you at Diana's Petite Retreat! Wasn't it amazing? I loved every minute & all the cool stuff we learned. Did you finish your pieces? I have not had a second to work on them. Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous lake! I want to be there! LOVE

    Hugs

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it! Jan