HomeEtsyRetail StudioCalendarShows

Saturday, August 25, 2012

INSPIRATION

Lately I have been thinking a lot about where I draw my inspiration for my beads and jewelry. I want a statement that describes my work in just a few words. I am having a lot of trouble doing just that. When I read where an artist gets their inspiration they talk about nature, the ocean, the desert or even recycled products. Me, I like color! I am always seeing colors that I can use in my beads. One day I was driving by a Taco Bell and I noticed their color scheme on the building. Mustard, clay tile, purple, olive green and khaki. I kept repeating the colors in my head till I got home. I made some really fun beads with those colors! I have a jewelry collection I call "Out of Africa". The colors are khaki, black, ivory, mustard, red roof tile, brown, and coral. I used patterns that I saw on fabric. Unfortunately, the patterns were very hard to put on a small bead! LOL! I am drawn to bright colors usually. I love the bold colors of Mexican decor and the soft colors of French Country. Do they compete with each other? How can I describe that?

Where do you get your inspirations? You may do art, interior decoration or just admire the work of others. But you too are inspired by things around you. Do you look at magazines? What kind? I tend to look mostly at the jewelry magazines; Step by Step Wire Jewelry, Bead and Button, Art Jewelry, Lapidary Jewelry Artist, and Belle Armoire Jewelry.  My latest favorites are Jewelry Affaire, Somerset Studios, and Where Women Create. They are all published by Stampington & Company.  For me they are showing all sorts of things other than just jewelry which I have found refreshing.  Do you subscribe to newsletters or blogs? I subscribe to toooo many! But I really enjoy reading and sometimes just looking at the photos. Lately I have enjoyed three newsletters I get from Interweave Publications; Cloth, Paper & Scissors, Jewelry Making Daily, and Beading Daily.  They have lots of photos which I like and great tips for all sorts of crafts.  Even if it isn't a craft I do I have found lots of inspirations from them.  Plus of course I have purchased some great digital project sheets and magazines.  (I am getting rid of my stacks of magazines all over the house to getting only digital magazines. ) Purchasing their products is probably the main purpose of their newsletters BUT I really do get inspirations without purchasing anything.   Most of the time anyway! LOL! I would love to know about places you go for inspirations. Please post in comments below. I am always open for new inspirations. Thanks!

OK, I have babbled long enough so are you ready for some photos. Maybe I have already lost you and I should have put them up front.  Oh well!

I got a new photo set up. I am still working on getting the lighting correct but here are some photos of my torch fired enamel beads and jewelry.
 
 
Large Cones enameled with sky, bitter & tequila slush;
They make a great pair of earrings just as they are.
 
Steel wire wrapped into a heart & enameled in sky, tequila slush & marigold.
Wire wrapped with squiggles (double balled headpins)
Hearts; enameled in sky, tequila slush & bitter.
I think these would make great earrings or dangles for a necklace or bracelet.
 
 Another version of hearts.
Earrings - Purple bead caps with purple crystals.
 
Enameled bead caps; colors sky, bitter and tequila slush;
 
English Garden Dangle Necklace - colors foxglove, marigold, lavender

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it! Jan