HomeEtsyRetail StudioCalendarShows

Sunday, September 22, 2013

THE LAST HURRAH FOR THE SUMMER!

Yesterday was the first day of fall and here in the eastern sierras it started out windy and chilly. By 5pm it started to hail. It quickly turned to snow but with thunder!  I watched out the window as a layer of snow started to cover the ground.  I made hot chocolate and turned up the heater.  I don't know how cold it got but we were cozy in our little cabin. 
 
View from our front window
 The dogs got me up early and I was anxious to see what it looked like outside.  A beautiful layer of snow on the ground and on the trees.  I remember this from my years in Minnesota. The first snow. Wanting to keep it pristine and not make tracks.  I haven't missed snow all these years in California. But somehow snow in the mountains is different.  The trees are different and of course there are mountains. 
 
About 6:00am
The dogs were having a great time on the deck running back and forth and playing in the snow. But I knew what they were really wanting to do.  Make those tracks!

I leave my heavy coats here along with warm socks and a scarf. I forgot gloves and a hat at home! I am not serious about snow or cold weather! The sun was out and the snow was starting to melt so I knew that once I started walking I would be fine.  I did put some socks on my hands to start!

Steve was curious to see what his boat looked like so that is the first place we went.  Oh my! Lake Mamie was like glass and the trees, well just look at how beautiful!  The boat was covered in snow as I knew it would be.  No tracks down on the dock and I didn't want to disturb that snow. 



Lake Mamie

We saw fishermen waiting for the snow to melt so they could go down to the shore to fish. And others just looking at the beauty like me. 

I knew the dogs wouldn't be happy just looking around so I took them to the other side of Lake Mamie where we always walk.  Well, I walk and they run in circles, in the water, up, down, more circles, more water, you get the picture. 




Lake Mamie with Crystal Crag in background


Aggie eating snow and Lily making a dog snow angel

It is always beautiful but with the snow it was another kind of beauty.  Most likely the snow will be all gone by tomorrow.  A high of 58 today and in the 60's tomorrow. Maybe one day more for fishing then the boat comes out of the water for the drive home in a day or two.  The umbrellas and chairs come in and everything gets buttoned up for the season.  I hope my little flower garden makes it through the winter but I won't know till next June or July. Depending on how much it snows this winter and how quickly spring comes determines when we can get back in the cabin. 

Before Snow
 
After Snow
 
I will back to making beads and jewelry soon! And my etsy shop will be back too.

I have two shows coming up this fall. If they are in your area, please stop by!

Art Glass Guild Patio Show - Sat & Sun - October 12th & 13th
Spanish Village Art Center, Balboa Park, San Diego
Click here for directions and more info

BABE! Bay Area Bead Extravaganza - Sat & Sun - November 16th & 17th
Marriott Convention Center, Oakland, CA  Classes & Bead Bazaar
Click here for more info  

Thanks for stopping by! 

Jan

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it! Jan